Friday 25 May 2012

Students in "Cheque-Mate"

Good Morning Cyberspace.

In light of all of the turmoil that's happening in Quebec (and all over Canada - thank you Stephen Harper...Canadians can now pick any issue and have more than enough to bitch about forever) over the post secondary educational system, I've decided to write another blog concerning just that.

You may remember my post Our Right To Education, where I put forth the idea that post-secondary education should be subsidized based on performance. Well, I'm sorry to say, that failed to happen. Instead, tuition rates across the country are about to skyrocket, to the point that literally hundreds of thousands of students have been protesting in the streets of Montreal for over 100 days.

The rest of us should be following suit. I am honestly shocked that the Conservative government would even try to raise tuition fees (I know, I shouldn't be shocked anymore...but I am - especially with the new EI policy, but that's for another time), I mean isn't an education unaffordable enough already?

But then I sat and really thought about it. It soon became obvious why we were ever forced into paying to go to college or university in the first place...to separate the classes. I don't mean classes like philosophy 101, I mean classes like "those peasants are not worth the breath of mentioning." You can sit and try to convince me that they don't exist anymore...but don't bother. You can lie to yourself all you want, but the fact is that there has to be a "lower class" of people. Everybody can't be a doctor or lawyer...we need janitors, we need burger flippers and we need criminals. All of these things keep our society livable...imagine how many jobs exist only because there are criminals in our society?

Equality is a great idea, but I think it only stands to reason that a capitalist society would be quite literally unable to function if everyone were equal. The whole idea behind capitalism is basically sink or swim...but in order to swim you have to first fight your way to the surface. Those who can stay afloat longest essentially gain all of the power in the society...Mayer Amschel Rothschild once said "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes the laws."

It all makes sense to me now. The elite were the only ones allowed to attend university in our not-so-distant past. Now it will only be the elite who will be able to afford to attend university. But that's the way it has to be. It's a little bit scary to think about. I love playing chess, I'm not too bad at chess - I always imagined myself a knight or a bishop - now I see my only option is to be a pawn.


Peace and Love
The Critical Stranger


As always thoughts, comments and suggestions are encouraged and appreciated!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Critical Stranger,

    Having read many of your posts, especially the topics about how government run our lives, I decided to reply with these song lyrics. Obviously, you will recognize them as you know the author was no fool. Whenever you see these events going on, read this again to remind yourself exactly of our class-based society really is. Freedom is really just an illusion.

    As soon as you're born they make you feel small
    By giving you no time instead of it all
    Till the pain is so big you feel nothing at all
    A working class hero is something to be

    They hurt you at home and they hit you at school
    They hate you if you're clever and they despise a fool
    Till you're so fucking crazy you can't follow their rules
    A working class hero is something to be

    When they've tortured and scared you for twenty-odd years
    Then they expect you to pick a career
    When you can't really function you're so full of fear
    A working class hero is something to be

    Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
    And you think you're so clever and classless and free
    But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see
    A working class hero is something to be

    There's room at the top they're telling you still
    But first you must learn how to smile as you kill
    If you want to be like the folks on the hill

    A working class hero is something to be
    If you want to be a hero well just follow me

    An older critical stranger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good article friend. This is one of the many reason that given the opportunity, I would consider dropping it all and joining a Buddhist monastery.

    ReplyDelete