Tuesday 5 June 2012

Murder is Wrong...Right?

Good Day Cyberspace.

First of all, I'll ask you to reserve judgement until the end of my post. As you know, I live in Halifax. Halifax has the highest unsolved murder rate (per capita of course) of anywhere in Canada. With all of the hoopla recently surrounding the gun violence in Halifax, which has resulted in two murders in two weeks. I'm also watching Oz, an old HBO TV show about a maximum security prison, so there is plenty of murder in it as well. The topic that I would like to address today is this - when, if ever, is homicide justifiable?

There seem to be two clear views on this issue - murder is murder and is therefore always unforgivable, or there are times when someone can be absolved of their deed.

When I think of what someone would have to do to me or my family for me to commit murder, it's not long before I can imagine a scenario. For example, in Oz, one prisoner has his son kidnap another prisoner's young children, one of whom is killed. If someone has kidnapped, tortured and murdered my child, you're damn right I'd murder them.

How about a person who has spent their entire existence selling drugs, robbing people, committing random acts of violence and causing suffering to the majority of people their life touches? Is this person a candidate for a justifiable homicide? This rope is a little bit tighter to walk, but is it a tragedy if there is nobody mourning? Interesting question.

I know what most of you are thinking. Murder is wrong...violence is wrong. Someone I brought this subject up to went so far as to say "There is never a time when murder, or violence of any type, is acceptable." So if I see a young girl being raped and choose to intervene, how am I supposed to do that without violence? Call the police? The police will use "necessary force" (yeah right) to detain anyone even suspected of a crime.

Which leads my next point. The death penalty. Obviously, this is where the issue is most apparent. There are vehement supporters on each side of the argument. Should the government have the power to dictate whether someone lives or dies? I think it depends on circumstance. If there is a murderer who has been convicted of killing an entire family, should that person be put to death? What if they've done it again and again? I would argue that it's much more humane to sentence someone to murder by the state than to incarcerate them for the rest of their lives...I would much rather die than spend 25 years being cooped up and being stripped of my humanity.

Or how about euthanasia? I've said it often myself...I would rather be killed than survive in a vegetative state. I believe that if it is somebody's wish, then by all means we should be allowed to obey them. I mean, a Will is one of the most important documents that we can have - our last wishes, written down and carried out by someone of our choosing. This is a case of murder that is definitely justifiable - who are you to force me to live miserably if I just want to die?

One more example. Food. How many animals are slaughtered everyday for consumption? The number is beyond comprehension. But we have to eat right? Yes, maybe we could survive off of just plants (we do anyway....it's called the food chain), but we are omnivores by nature. Would you be pissed off at a lion for eating a gazelle? It is justifiable to kill for food, nobody will convince me differently. After all, plants are alive too...we can only eat things that we have to kill.

Anyway, I must go...but this is just some food for thought. I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Peace and Love
The Critical Stranger

As always thoughts, comments and suggestions are encouraged and appreciated!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting points, although I must say that I find myself on the side that sees all killing (save for eating) as murder.

    Id argue that any sane person who kills, does so because society has conditioned them to do so. No child is born with a desire to kill. These are learned or obtaines through life events. Perhaps anything from seeing a goverment attack a city of people, to seeing a violent television show could, over time, condition a mind to embrace killing.

    Then there is the issue of an eye for eye. The death penalty runs on this idea. Unfortuantly this only ever creates more pain and suffering. The offender is killed in the name of justice, but like the victom, the offender likely has a circle of friends and family who care for him/her. They, like the victoms family will feel pain when the offender is killed. It creates a cycle of pain.

    Of course, the solution would be to educate the future youth on the value of all life. To teach them compassion and how to deal with emotional distress, and other negative states of mind. We could also dive into the sepperation of classes and its effect on poverty relates murder, but thats a different topic!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete