Monday 26 March 2012

Dreaming in Poetry

Top o' the Morning Cyberspace.

Today I find myself rather pensive and subdued. I don't know why, but I've decided to write a poem today. While I know that there are countless structured forms of poetry, free verse has been my favourite. Today, I'm going to write a poem about a recurring dream I have. I hope I can convey the emotion I'm trying to.


I walk; the sun watches
I run; the sun chases me
I sit; I am blinded by the sun

Murmurs
Unintelligible words surround me
I am paralyzed

Drums in the fog; my resolve has forsaken me
Clouds now; the sun is gone
Cold; damp - there is no oasis

Wrong place, wrong time
Fear
I must leave

Feet swinging; voices, the voices in the fog
Just go - keep moving
The drums beat faster

My footsteps have no echo
I have been swallowed by the mist
I smell blood; it tastes like sorrow

Burning legs; burning lungs
I must escape
I can't escape

Exhaustion; I gasp for air
There is no air
Only ether

Voices and drums are getting louder
No breath to scream
My lungs are filled with water

Hands and knees; no hope left
Drums; voices; drums; voices
Is this my end?

Silence

I am surrounded
Hands all over me; I am powerless
I have lost

No sound; no voices
I look; out of focus
Eventually I see

Bodies everywhere
Animated, yet lifeless
No faces; only twisted screams

I see my hands; reaching
I want to touch
I need to touch that face

A gentle caress; it is cold
It is smooth
Hot hands on my face

I hit; my face stings
I claw; my face bleeds
All is clear

I am the scream

Wow...apparently my dreams are pretty messed up. Thanks for reading!

Peace and Love
The Critical Stranger

As always thoughts, comments and suggestions are welcome!









3 comments:

  1. Dreams are but a glimpse into a different reality we live in ignorance of...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find dreaming to be an extremely fascinating thing. So real in the moment.. I often wonder why we dream at all.. Great poem. I could "see" the dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, the dream is so interesting, but the telling of it - the poetry - is so emotive....One can see AND hear it! Keep poeting!

    ReplyDelete