Saturday 24 March 2012

Saturday - 'Sun'Day

Aloha Cyberspace (I'm beginning to run out of English ways to say hello...and I don't want to use all of them right away), it's another beautiful day on a beautiful rock hurling at unimaginable speeds through the blackness of space. The sun is shining, the birds are singing...I guess what I'm trying to say is this will be short - I wanna go outside!

In light of this, I've decided to write about why it is that people are generally happier when it's nice outside.

As a kid, I loved to play outside. Running around playing tag, throwing a baseball around, playing ball hockey, or even playing manhunt at night in the dark....these are some of the best memories I have. Thinking of these times right now while I'm writing I can't help but smile. I loved to hear my mom come into the room and say "Go outside and get the stink blown off ya," or my dad grabbing the hockey stick and saying "Let's go shoot around."

There's a few reasons  (ignoring the obvious, such as sitting in traffic for twice the amount of time on an especially rainy day) I would give for the fondness of these memories and the way the weather seems to affect everyone on a daily basis.

The first has to do with pressure. I think for the most part most of us know that 'Low-pressure systems' bring the storm clouds and 'High pressure systems' bring us those beautiful days at the beach. As I understand it, the difference between the two is literally high and low...clouds are made of water vapour and when they start to become saturated (unable to hold more water vapour) they begin to sink lower in the sky. As they are also more dense, pressure begins to build below them, similar to a bicycle pump as the plunger moves down the cylinder (except not confined in a tube).  Obviously when people are 'under pressure' literally, we are more likely to be on edge.

Another reason, and this is mostly opinion added to logic, is that our sun, Sol, has literally given us life. Without the sun's energy, we would have no light, no heat, no water, and there's a very good chance the very elements that make up our being may not be available on the planet. The plants use photosynthesis to harvest the sun's energy, and animals eat the plants. Very basic science. I think that somewhere within the very essence of our consciousness, we recognize this fact and are predisposed to wanting a connection with the source - we all want to remember where we came from. Even plants do it.

Also, being out in the sun just feels great. Everyone's happier and as much as we don't like to admit it, there is definitely some truth to the idea of group consciousness. But that's another blog.

So get out there, rehash some of those childhood games, connect with your family and connect with the source. It's the ultimate 'Soul Food' (see what I did there?) - so fill up!

Peace and Love
The Critical Stranger

As always thoughts, comments and suggestions are appreciated and encouraged!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this blog! Makes me wonder why a llittle child I know says "I never want to get bigger"! I love it and am taking it with me on this rather dreary Monday ;-) Happy Day Critical Strangers!

    ReplyDelete