Friday 27 April 2012

Painted Lanes

Hey again Cyberspace.

Alright...I admit it. I completely forgot about my blog yesterday. I had someone else's computer hooked up for most of the day and was out for most of the rest of it. Unfortunately, this could be viewed as some inadvertent foreshadowing. I am in the midst of disassembling my apartment in preparation for moving this weekend, which will be promptly followed by a trip to Montreal. I probably won't be blogging very much over the next week and a half...this Sunday Storytime will probably be the last entry for a while.

Today's topic is one that probably all of us have had to deal with - road rage. I see it everyday, and I do have a mild case of it myself (mine is mostly limited to swearing at other drivers).

I can understand how someone can get mad while driving. Take me, for instance...if I get cut off or someone decides to plow into my lane without looking, I will be cursing you. My anger is based on the safety of the people in the car. I am responsible for transporting each of the individuals in my vehicle from Point A to Point B safely. It is not a responsibility to be taken lightly. By doing something stupid while driving, you are putting me and my whole family at risk. Any person that threatens my family is not going to be received well. If a moving ton or more of plastic, rubber and steel is being operated irresponsibly, does that truck or car not become a weapon? How would you feel if someone was coming at your family with a loaded gun? I think that this is the basic principle behind some of the seemingly insane actions we hear about or see that get chalked up to 'road rage'.

The onus of safety does not only land on me (or the operator of whichever vehicle you may be in) - it also belongs to every other driver on the road. Failing to signal, failing to check a blind spot, playing with the radio...these things seem mundane. But they are not. Pay attention...it's really not that hard. As soon as you get behind that wheel, you are accepting your responsibility to everyone else - it may not seem like it, but safe driving is a collective effort.

I don't want to be misconstrued - I'm not trying to say that if someone cuts off you should follow them home. All I'm saying is that I can understand why people get so worked up. The trouble is once you're angry, there's a good chance that you will start shirking your responsibility. And this is the part that really gets me. I cannot wrap my head around the logic of "Well he cut me off, so I'm going to drive at a ridiculous speed and put everyone else in peril to pull up beside this person and give them the finger," or the like. It doesn't add up to me. So here's my suggestion - if you're driving, and someone does something that makes you unbelievably angry...pull over.

I feel as though this should be taught in every driving course that exists. Just take a breather. Pull over and calm down before doing something rash that you will only regret later. I mean, really what's worse - someone almost getting you into an accident; or you causing an accident and if you survive, living with the guilt of those you've injured or killed? At the very least your insurance premium will go up - and who wants to pay more to 'protect themselves' from something that may occur?

Accidents do happen. Attention spans are short. If you are going to be on the road, you have to be ready for anything at any moment. If someone does something you don't like, call them an asshole and move on. Don't waste your time being pissed off - spend your time keeping you and your family safe.

Peace and Love
The Critical Stranger

As always thoughts, comments and suggestions are encouraged and appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment