Friday 20 April 2012

A Post From Across the Globe

Bonjour Cyberspace.

I'm getting ready to move. I've moved many atime in my life, but this time is by far the most organized (thanks to my lovely girlfriend). I've been packing a lot, and I recently stumbled upon my journal that I kept while I was in Kandahar. Well, for the first few months anyway. I've decided to share one of these journal entries today, concerning my first vacation. I hope you enjoy it...the memories definitely bring a smile to my face, and I hope they do the same for you.

June 28/09

Alright, here I am again. Back in KAF,..it was actually unbelievably hard to come back. I kinda wish I didn't go home, because now I don't wanna stay here 'til February at all. On the flip side of the coin, I do want another contract's worth of money and those two vacations. I hate this decision. How was vacation? It was great. I guess I'll start with Europe - London and Amsterdam were awesome! Got to London, rode the Tube to where we had to go - and our hotel ending up being right in downtown London. Went out and saw the sights, and just being there soaking up the history was a vacation in itself. Anyway, we went out for supper and drinks. We ate supper, I don't remember the name of the place, but the meal was horrible! It was supposed to be Italian Chicken, but I swear it was just uncooked tomato soup on a chicken breast, and somehow I got a fly in my beer - I drank it anyway. We walked up past Trafalgar Square and saw a place called Verve with 50% off drinks, so in we went. The drinks started flowing and we met two guys. One was an off-duty cop, the other wore a suit and claimed to be a spy. Pretty sure he was just unemployed. They convinced us to go to another bar called O'Neill's. Had some more drinks, hung out on the rooftop of the bar, and proceeded to get completely wasted. We lost the two guys. At about 1am, one of the friends I was traveling with started bitchin' about how we had to go back to the hotel and pack to catch our flight to Amsterdam in the morning. So we made our drunken stumbling way back to the hotel (one of us came extremely close to getting hit by a taxi - it's that whole driving on the other side of the road thing) and slept for about 2 hours. We rushed our hungover sorry bums to the Tube station, got on...and realized we had no idea which terminal to go to when we arrived at Heathrow. We guessed Terminal 1,2 or 3 because they were in the same building. We were wrong. Eventually, we found our way to Terminal 5, which was where we were supposed to be, and missed check-in by less than fifteen minutes. None of us were willing to give up our trip to Amsterdam, so we went and purchased new tickets. Eventually, we made it Amsterdam.
To be continued...

Peace and Love
The Critical Stranger

As always, thoughts, comments and suggestions are encouraged and appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment