Wednesday 18 April 2012

Vices in Verse

Hullo Cyberspace.

I woke up this morning and drove my beautiful daughter to school. The next stop for me, as for many of you I'm sure, was Tim Horton's. As I sat and drank my coffee, I thought 'Why? Why are we so dependent on drugs?' Prescription pills, coffee, cigarettes, alcohol - the legal drugs are by far the worst ones. If you don't believe me, just look at the statistics - I haven't checked recently, but if I'm not mistaken heart disease is the number one killer in North America. Know what causes heart disease? Alcohol and tobacco for two. So I thought I'd write a little poem about our wonderful government issued chemical vices.

Lids open; my room fades into focus
Lids closed; I don't want to rise
The sheets are my home
It's a cold world outside

Snooze; alarm; snooze; alarm
Swing my feet; roll
Driving zombies in search of brewed treasure
I pay through the window

Bitterness; tastes like morning
Work; we share this bond
Inhale relief outside
Ready to face the day

Empty cup; this is the fourth
Time; it creeps slowly
Watching the clock
Countdown to lift-off

Home; finally free
Fridge; the beer is cold
My depressant timeframe
Glasses and smoke in the dark

Ice cubes; clinking and floating
Cigarettes; smouldering and delicious
Drugged into satisfaction
Almost time for my pill

Bottles; plastic next to glass
Taxes; I've made someone rich
Time for a nightcap
Sober until the alarm

Peace and Love
The Critical Stranger

As always thoughts, comments and suggestions are encouraged and appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment